So this is it.
I’m going to take the plunge and do what I’ve been thinking about for the past five or six years. I’m going to actually write about myself and all the screwed up crap that has made me who I am today. The difference between this time and previous attempts, is that now it will all be coming from a good place. I’m not depressed, pitying myself or angry anymore. It all is what it is and I can’t change any of it.
What I can do is write about it and hope that by doing so I help myself grow and find peace. I also hope that some of my stories will resonate with others and help them find peace. At the very least, I hope they know that they are not alone. Because truly, that is the one thing that saved my life – knowing that while I may be unique, my struggles are not. I can survive them and be happy.
No worries. I’ll still be writing about all the funny things too. After all, there is always more than one side to a story.
So welcome. This is my story.
Okay…It’s go time. My domain name is about to renew and I have to decide if I will continue to be uniquely weird or just plain old weird. So, I’m going to pick up where I left off and try to blog every stinking day, regardless of what stupid thing comes to my mind. If I manage to do it for a month, I’ll keep my domain. If not, I’ll go poof into the land of blogger wannabe’s.
I have stuff to say. I just discovered that I’m not nearly as funny as I thought I was. I guess it’s better to find out now rather than later.
Either that or I need to consume more jello shots.
Imagine this: you’re standing with a group of friends, talking about something that you all have in common. For this example, let’s say you’re discussing your mutual love of the color chartreuse. You’re opinion is that chartreuse is just the coolest color ever. Your friends may not all share your intense enthusiasm for chartreuse. Perhaps they really like it, but they have other favorite colors too. The conversation is friendly, respectful and fun. These are your friends, so you feel safe gushing about chartreuse.
Suddenly, you’re joined by someone else you know – someone who really, really digs vermilion. In fact, they think people that like chartreuse are downright idiotic. They join your conversation, call you ignorant names and questions your intelligence. What makes matters worse is that this person is a relative/close friend/person you can’t really escape being associated with. You’re humiliated, not because of your differing views, but because this person just vomited all over the conversation.
Then they say, “We’re in public. I can say whatever I want. Don’t put it out there if you don’t want people commenting on it.”
Sure, you’re standing in the mall, but you’re clearly talking with your friends…or not. Why would someone who cares about you, walk up to you and bitch slap you in front of 300 of your friends and family?
Okay, by now you probably get that I’m not talking about standing in the mall talking about obscure colors. I’m talking about the way people treat each other in the social media. Rather than rant, I’d simply like to point out a few things and hope it sinks in with some people.
- Social media is not necessarily “a public forum”. If you’re on Facebook, (where most of these offenses occur), your privacy settings are very likely limited to your “friends”. I don’t know many people that put everything out there for public consumption. Therefore, when you swoop in and shit all over someone’s post, it’s the same as walking up to them and calling them out in front of every person they know. Because, who are we kidding, we probably all have people “friended” who are like our bff’s next door neighbor’s cousin because we went to a party once with them. I don’t know about you, but I don’t exactly want everyone I know to be aware of the fact that Aunt Sally can’t control her mouth when she’s drunk…again.
- Just because you disagree with someone, it does not mean they are wrong. Seriously. Deal with it and move on.
- Comments on social media are not a private conversation between you and the original poster or anyone else who may comment on the post. To spell this out further…EVERYONE CAN READ THEM. Please. There are many other ways to find out if she slept with so-and-so. Truly, none of the rest of us care.
- The same goes for blogs. If I say Mary is my best friend in my blog, don’t comment that you think Mary is a tramp. Guess what…Mary can read it and you’re an idiot.
- Lastly and most importantly (yet, what I know will be lost on most people), don’t treat people like shit just because you can’t see the hurt you inflict. I learned this one the hard way. If you don’t agree with someone’s opinion, move on. Hide the post or close the browser. Rant to your husband about what a drunken idiot Aunt Sally is. But don’t call her one on Facebook or anywhere else. Words hurt and sometimes the hurt lasts a lot longer than you’d imagine.
And for the record, this is chartreuse.
The WordPress.com stats helper monkeys prepared a 2012 annual report for this blog.
Here’s an excerpt:
600 people reached the top of Mt. Everest in 2012. This blog got about 3,900 views in 2012. If every person who reached the top of Mt. Everest viewed this blog, it would have taken 7 years to get that many views.
Click here to see the complete report.
My blog notifications told me that someone “liked” one of my posts yesterday, which made me check my stats. I found that there have been days when NO ONE VISITED ME! This is horrible, just horrible! Then I realized that I have been so stinking busy that I haven’t had time (or inclination) to blog in a while. So, here’s an update on what’s been going on:
Diet Week 10 (or whatever the hell it is) – I’ve lost 15 lbs! It is really hard, particularly when I’m doing fun stuff like baking apple pies (which I managed not to eat whole, thankyouverymuch…I left that to the Hubster. He didn’t mind.) It’s really awesome to have to wear a belt to hold up my pants. Pretty soon, I’ll have to go shopping! Woot!
Death and Illness – Keeping up with tracking WW points has been rough this past week. Sadly, the kids’ grandmother passed away on Wednesday, which led to a quickie visit to PA for the funeral on Friday. This is just six months after their dad died, so it’s been a rough year for the kiddos. On top of that, my uncle has not been well and it’s been touch and go for a couple of weeks. I said at one point that it seems everyone I know is either unemployed or sick. Your odds are not good if you know me. If you just read my blog, you’ll probably escape with a mild cold and missing a day of work. Lucky you.
Employment – Speaking of unemployment, after quitting my job in a very dramatic fashion, last week I started temping for an agency while I keep looking for regular work. My first temp job is sorting and tracking campaign contributions for the Romney campaign! I think my mother summed this up really well when she simply said “karma”. I’m so anti-Romney, I think I’d rather see Mickey Mouse in the White House than elect Romney. Wait, that’s pretty much the same thing, isn’t it? (Which reminds me…I haven’t posted a political rant in a while. Keep your eyes peeled for one soon. I’ve got one simmering and if I don’t get it out soon, it’s going to stink like rotten eggs.)
Squirrels – And on a completely random and unrelated note, THEY’RE BACK! It seems that the dry summer has seriously put a dent in the squirrel population and there have been far too few of the little critters to keep me sufficiently amused for quite a while. However, the cooler weather has brought them out, looking for their winter nutty goodness, to my unconcealable delight. Yesterday, I sat for MINUTES watching one sneak attack a group of band students, darting between trees and running up the backside as to remain virtually invisible. (They are sneaky little critters, those squirrels). I was utterly entertained and I’m sure I appeared quite mad as I sat giggling to myself for no apparent reason. I guess the squirrels aren’t’ the only ones who are a little nuts. 😀
The other day, a blogger mentioned that she likes to see what search terms lead people to her blog. I never thought about it, so I decided to check mine.
Here are the search engine keywords that directed people to Uniqueweirdness today:
- old ladies face
- giant metal rooster in lucketts va
- painting an old lady’s face
- drunken gummies, sticking
And my top 5 all time:
- vodka gummy bears
- dan cathy speech
- alcohol soaked gummy bears
- vodka soaked gummy bears
I ❤ ❤ ❤ my readers.